Total Time 1H 50 MIN
Active Time 1H 40 Min
Prep Time 10 Min
It is a fish that is marinated in achiote and orange, is made on the grill or baked. Its preparation is a tradition of Yucatecan cuisine and is a delight!
1 kilo of fish
100 grams of achiote marinade (try our Yucateco Achiote)
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 cup of orange juice
¼ lemon juice
1 pinch of cinnamon powder
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 purple onion filleted
3 sliced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano (try our Sazon Natural Oregano Mexicano)
1 banana leaf (or parchment paper)
- Combine the onion and the chilies with a spoonful of orange juice, lemon juice, salt and peppers; leave it o the side.
- Combine the achiote paste, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Pour the repared achiote marinade on the fish and leave to marinate for one hour.
- Heat the banana leaf to soften it.
- Place the fish on the banana leaf, add the onions and the tomato; wrap it up.
- Bake it at 170 °C for 40 minutes, bathing the fish in the liquid.
- Serve this delicious Tikin Xic fish, with Komali Tortillas.